Some of Our Favorite Places
The Wedding Oak - "The Wedding Oak is a legendary Indian site that was popular into the 1900s. This tree sheltered many marriage services. On December24, 1911, three marriages took place here. the legend is that before the settlers arrived, that Indians stood under the tree to be wed and that the tradition was adopted by the settlers.
Beveridge Bridge - The Beveridge Bridge proudly bears its makers plaque atop the crossbeam:"Built by the Flinn, Moyer Bridge Co., Weatherford Tex 1896". Crossing the San Saba River just north of the city of San Saba, this single lane, parallel wire suspension bridge is 140' long with a wood deck supported by three-pole pylons, iron pipes, rods and castings. Although it had been rebuilt at least three times over the last century, it was closed to vehicle traffic in 2004 and a new concrete bridge was built beside it.
Regency Bridge - This area's first Colorado River bridge was at Regency, on Mills-San Saba County line. Built1903, it served ranchers and farmers for going to market, but fell in 1924, killing a boy, a horse, and some cattle. Its successor was demolished by a 1936 flood. With 90 per cent of the work done by hand labor, the Regency Suspension Bridge was erected in 1939. It became the pride of the locality, and youths gathered there in the 1940s to picnic, dance, and sing. The suspender cables look like strings of a giant instrument stretched taut from the wooden deck to the main cable that gracefully drapes from one bank to the other.
Bypassed by paved farm roads, it now survives as one of the last suspension bridges in Texas.
Rogan Field - In 1935 it became the home football stadium for the San Saba Armadillos. Yes, it once was a cemetery. And, yes, not all the graves were removed before it was converted into a football stadium. The graveyard-turned-football-stadium received national attention in 1990 with an article in Sports Illustrated. Fox Sports Net did a television piece in 2004. It is often referred to as the "Graveyard" The legend of The Graveyard isn't posted for everyone to see. Its not bragged about openly by most locals unless someone else asks first. But all it takes is one unusual happening during a high school football game at Rogan Field, and San Saba fans are cutting their eyes at one another and thinking the same thing.
First United Methodist Church - The church celebrated it's 150th year of service to the area in 2006. Organized in 1856 in an area so wild that the Church gave a missionary a $50.00 revolver and a $125.00 horse. Today the church enjoys the distinction of being the only all marble Methodist Church in the United States. The present structure was constructed between 1914 and 1917. The church is also listed as an official United Methodist Historic Site (No. 193) as well as being a Texas Historical Site. The Church is known for its beautiful stained glass, magnificent architecture and welcoming members.
Burden Plaza / Burden Hotel - Nathaniel Burden built the Estep House, which is locally referred to as the Burden Hotel, in 1857. It was the fourth building to be built in San Saba. It was also the first stone building to be erected. The recently restored Estep House and Burden Plaza stands west of the courthouse square in the heart of the historic downtown district. It has served the community for almost 150 years as a private residence, a hotel, and law office.
San Saba County Jail - County's oldest existing public
building. Erected in 1884, the structure cost $13,000 and lot $300. Jail was
built of blue limestone in Italianate Texas style. A 12-foot-high board fence
(built after an 1886 jail break) has been replaced. Jailer lived on first
floor. Said to be the oldest continuous operation jail in the United States.
San Saba County Courthouse - The courthouse in San Saba is one of the few courthouses in Texas with a statement ("From the people to the people") carved over it's entrances. The architect of this courthouse, Walter Chamberlain designed this
courthouse in the style known as Texas Renaissance.
Mill Pond Park - In 1875, Guy Risien built a rock and brush dam across Mill Creek to operate a hydraulic dam that he used to water his own garden and provide water to a few neighbors. Today, Mill Pond Park is a lovely park with a spring-fed lake. A waterfall cascades over rocks landscaped with ferns, moss, canna and caladium. The waters then flow under a bridge and wind throughout the park. Seven-million gallons of water pump through the lake daily.
San Saba Nature Park - a serene getaway that features the
city’s first waterworks, a birding blind, and a beautiful greenbelt perfect for
walking, biking, and fishing.